An Introduction To Transgender Awareness
Training for Healthcare Professionals
Event Date: 1st & 2nd September.
This workshop will be of interest to OTs and other healthcare professionals who wish to increase their knowledge of Trans issues in an Irish and an International context.
‘The LGBT Ireland Report’ (Higgins et al., 2016) recommended training to reduce mental health risks and to build resilience among trans people, including children and young people. The Eurohealthnet report ‘Health4LGBTI’ recommended promoting diversity and inclusion by aiming to increase the use of inclusive language and inclusive practice. Informed healthcare professionals can reduce the potential for negative LGBTQ healthcare experiences. This training will support therapists in Ireland to become competent and confident leaders in this emerging area of practice.
About the course
- Explore attitudes, values and comfort levels in relation to Transgender people
- Develop an understanding of the different identities under the ‘Trans’ umbrella
- Explore some of the experiences of transgender adults, adolescents, children and their families
- Develop knowledge in relation to transgender treatment options
Following years of experience working as the Health & Education Manager at the Transgender Equality Network Ireland (TENI) and having recently been awarded her Doctorate in the area, Vanessa has now gone on to establish Gendercare, an independent consultancy firm that provides high-quality transgender awareness training to organisations, with a particular focus on healthcare.
Application and Payment information:
- Payment in full is taken at the time of application.
- Payment of the fee does not guarantee you a place at this event.
- Full payment must be received prior to the closing date in order to secure your place.
- If the event is oversubscribed you will be provided with a full refund.
- Successful applicants will be notified that they have a place at the event following the closing date.
- Places are limited and members are advised to apply early to secure a place.
- Please note: notifications will be sent to the email address entered on this application form. Please make sure to enter correctly the email address you wish to use for communication about this event.